Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Chapter 9

"I'm so glad you're finally home Brie. It has been soooooo boring around here without you," Jeanette told her as they walked down the street from shop to shop.
"I'm sure it hasn't been that bad," Brie replied.
"Of course it has! What do you know, you've been living it up at university! I want to hear all about it and don't leave out any details!"
"Seriously Jeanie, there's nothing really to tell. I go to class, go to practice, and go to the library, that's it. Nothing exciting."
"Don't hold out on me Brie, Tell me about the boys. I bet there are thousands of hot guys just ripe for the picking."
"Jeanette, listen to yourself. You talk about guys like they're pieces of meat; it's disgusting."
"Oh please. Are you telling me that you have not partaken in any of the hunky men that I'm sure were throwing themselves at you."
"First of all, I had no one throw themselves at me. Second of all, even if they did, I don't have time. University is not like highschool. You have to work your ass off if you want to get good grades. That was my focus, not men."
"What? Were none of them hockey players?" Jeanette said snidely.
"Don't go there Jeanette," Brie said tersely.
"Brie, it's been a year. You have to get over him and move on. You weren't even a couple!"
"I don't expect you to understand Jeanette. I have moved on. Me not dating has nothing to do with him. It's my choice. I don't want to date because I'm busy."
"Yeah, busy wallowing over Kri..."
"Don't you dare say his name!"
"See. Not over him."

Jeanette was right. She was not over him; not even close. She had no life at university because she didn't want one. It took her months to get to the point where she wasn't crying herself to sleep every night. She didn't want to meet people; she didn't want to make new friends; she certainly didn't want to date. But it wasn't just a broken heart she was suffering from; it was a broken spirit too. She was in mourning. She was grieving the loss of the love of her life and her best friend. They had shared everything together and it was gone in an instant. She needed to go through the grieving process but couldn't. She was stuck. There would never be any getting over Kristopher for her. He was the one; she knew it and she was convinced that he did too. She felt it in his kiss. She just couldn't figure out why he had denied it. Her heart belonged to one man and one man only.
Brie had travelled many weekends to watch Kristopher play without ever telling anyone. She couldn't help herself. She had spent years supporting him and his dream and she didn't want to miss it. Despite the heartache, she was so proud of him and still loved watching him play.

The sound of his name snapped Brie out of her day dream.
"Kristopher! Wait up."
Brie and Jeanette turned around and saw a blond girl coming out of the sports store and catching up to the boy she was calling after.
He turned around and smiled at the girl and Brie froze. She recognized that smile anywhere. It was him. The girl handed him a bag that he must have forgot in the store. He thanked her and turned around and walked in the opposite direction.
Brie didn't move; just watched him walk away...again.
"Yeah, you're over him all right," Jeanette said while linking her arm with Brie's. "Let's go Brie."
Reluctantly, Brie followed her friend.

"Well, well, well, if it isn't Brielle LaRoche. You are looking damn good girl!"
"Thanks Rob," Brie replied dryly.
"Hey Rob!" Jeanette said enthusiastically.
"Hey Jenny," he said.
She giggled and Brie rolled her eyes.
"We should definitely get together soon Brie. I'd love to hear what you've been doing over there in school."
"I don't think so Rob."
"Come on Brie, it'll be a good time."
"Yeah Brie, what else have you got to do?" Jeanette added.
"Thanks, but I don't think so."
"Look Brie, I know I've been kind of an idiot in the past, but everyone changes. I know I have. I'm not the same stupid kid I was in highschool. What'd ya say; give me a second chance?"
Jeanette was looking at her practically pleading with her to say yes, like it would be her going out with him. Brie knew that she would never hear the end of it if she said no.
"Fine, what the hell."
"Seriously?" Jeanette and Rob said at the same time.
"Yes."
"Great! How 'bout I pick you up around seven tomorrow? We can catch a movie then maybe go out for coffee after?"
"Sure. Sounds nice Rob. I'll see you tomorrow."
"Bye Brie."

Jeanette was so excited she was practically hyperventilating.
"I can't believe you're going out with Rob Taylor you lucky bitch!" she squealed.
"Me either," Brie replied. "Me either."
Brie totally tuned Jeanette out as she rambled on and on about clothes and god knows what else.
'I can't believe I agreed to this. I know I'm going to regret this.'

3 comments:

  1. WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU, WHAT PART OF IN LOVE WITH KRIS DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good. She should date other people. Not like he's been pining away for the last year, not linking up with other girls. Seriously....

    I just found this, btw....I'm really liking it!!!

    -elle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please post again soon. I just got caught up on this!!!

    ReplyDelete