Monday, December 28, 2009

Chapter 2

June 2004

"So are you ready for Michelle's party tonight? I heard that there's supposed to be like a hundred people there, including a certain extremely hot football player who happens to have a serious crush on you!"
"Ugh, please Jeanette, I am sooo NOT interested in Rob Taylor. He is an egotistical jerk!"
"Brielle, shake your head! He is blond, blue eyed, and built like a house and he wants to date you! The entire female population of our school would die to be in your shoes!"
"Then they can have my shoes cause I don't want them, and I certainly do not want Rob Taylor."
"Riiiiiiight. Sorry, I forgot, Rob's not a hockey player so you're not interested."
"It has nothing to do with the fact that he's not a hockey player and everything to do with the fact he's a jerk. He thinks he's god's gift to women and that we should all bow at his feet. And for the record, I don't bow at anyone's feet and I don't like hockey players either."
"No not all hockey players, just one; and for the record, you do bow at his feet."
"Jeanie, Kris and I are best friends, that's it, that's all."
"When are you going to wake up and just admit that you are in love with him and you're going to follow him to the ends of the earth and get married and have little Letang babies and live happily ever after."
"You have a very vivid imagination Jeanie."
"Ah ha!"
"Ah ha what?"
"You didn't deny it."
"Okay, for the last time, Kris and I have been best friends since we were old enough to know what a friend was. I am not now, nor have I ever been in love with Kris Letang."
"And that's why he's the only guy you ever look at, ever pay any attention to, because he's your best friend?"
"Yes, because he's the only guy that doesn't treat me like I'm a piece of meat. He's the only guy that is actually interested in what I have to say and not how I look."
"Brielle, you are the hottest girl at school; every guy wants to date you and every girl hates you because they want to be you. I can't let you waste that kind of power..."
"Brie! Brie! Brie where are you?" he called out.
"Speak of the devil," Jeanie sneared.
"Oh, be quiet Jean. I'm in my room Kris," I yelled back.
A few seconds later he burst through the bedroom door out of breath.
"Brie, you...will...never...guess...oh, sorry. I...had...no...idea..."
"It's okay Kris, I'm just talking to Jeanie."
"Hello Jeanette," he said loud enough for her to hear through the phone.
"Say hello back," she grumbled.
"She says hi back. Kay, Jeanie I'm going to go..."
"I know, I know. Lover boy's there now so screw Jeanie!"
"I'm hanging up now!"

"So what's up Kris? I just left you like 15 minutes ago."
"I know! I just got off the phone with coach. The Foreurs...they want me to come play for them!"

My heart started beating a million miles a minute. 'The Foreurs? The foreurs? Why can't I place that name?"

"Kristopher, that's great!" I exclaimed wrapping my arms around his neck and burying my nose in his hair. God, I loved the smell of his hair!
"I know! I haven't even told maman yet! I just can't believe it. I am actually going to play in the Quebec Major Junior League. I just can't wrap my brain around it. I can't believe they want me."
"Well I can! Kris you are amazing, I've been telling you that for years. Now you're going to get your shot! I am so proud of you Kris, you have worked so hard for this!"
"Thank you Brie," he said more quietly now. "You've always believed in me; always supported me. I can't thank you enough," he said wrapping me up in another hug.
"What are best friends for?" I asked still trapped in his strong embrace.
"You are my best friend Brie. I am going to miss you sooooooooooooo much," he whispered.
"Miss me? Why would you miss me?" I asked pulling away from him.
"Unless you plan on coming to Val-d'Or with me, then I'm going to miss you."
"VAL-D'OR! What do you mean you're going to Val-d'Or!"
"The Foreurs are in Val-d'Or, where else would I go?"

I felt the colour draining from my face as I sat down on my bed to keep from collapsing on the floor.

"Are you okay Brie?" Kris asked sitting down beside me and taking my hand in his.
"But Val-d'Or is like seven hours away," I said in a barely audible voice.
"I know," he said shaking his head. "What am I going to do without you next door? Without you and your goofy signs in the stands cheering me on?"
"Seven hours Kristopher," again in a whisper.
"I know baby. I know," he said putting his arm around me so I could rest my head on his shoulder. "We'll figure it out. We have to."

I closed my eyes hoping to keep the tears from falling. Kristopher had spent the last four years wirking his ass off to get to this point. I have too for that matter; working out with him, strapping the goalie pads on for hours so he could perfect his shot. And I have been his biggest fan and his biggest supporter. So why is it that when he tells me that all the hard work has paid off and he gets to fulfil his dream that we worked so hard to achieve, the only thing I want to say to him is 'don't go! Don't leave me.'

3 comments:

  1. bc she loves him...I love this story already...update soon

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh i love this story...Kristopher!!!!:] I love reading storys about him

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it keep more coming. But why havent you wrote anything about ' my object of affection', (or something like that) Maxime. I know you want to.

    ReplyDelete